Of course, owning a hotel is not that simple. With all the things you have to oversee and supervise, and all the work that needs to be done, caring for the furniture may be the last thing on your mind. However, it should not be. Since these are valuable investments that you make, it is imperative that you are able to take utmost care of them to ensure that they last a long time in your hotel doing service for you and your customers.
Here are some helpful tips on how to care for different kinds of furniture.
Wood is one of the most common material used to construct furniture. Elegant and heavy-duty at the same time, it is no wonder why many hotel owners prefer wooden furniture. To care for these furniture you should:
- Clean wooden furniture regularly by dusting the surface several days a week with a clean, lint-free cloth to prevent dirt build up.
- Never expose these furniture to direct sunlight for this can dry up the wood and cause the color to fade.
- Avoid extremely moist or dry air to prevent drying or warping.
- Never place furniture near air vents.
- Clean surface once a year using clean soft cloth dipped in mild soap. Rinse with damp cloth and dry with a soft lint-free cloth afterwards.
- Always put coasters under glasses and protective plates under flower bases to prevent water marks on the surface of the furniture.
Aside from wood, other furnishing surfaces as well as decorative elements may be made of metals, leather, marble, wicker, and many others.
For metals such as aluminum and chromium, proper maintenance entails regular dusting and occasional wiping using a soft damp cloth. Remember never to use abrasives as well as strong soaps and detergents that may contain alkali, which can cause pitting of aluminum. hotel furniture
Meanwhile, copper-bronze ornaments and fixtures, which are commonly lacquered, should never be soaked in hot water or be polished. Instead, they should be washed and rinsed with lukewarm water and then dried off thoroughly afterwards.
Leather is another common material used for upholstery and furnishing surface. Use leather conditioner to keep furniture looking good as new. You can also clean it by wiping with a soft damp cloth dipped in mild soap. Rinse with lukewarm water and dry thoroughly after.
As for marble furniture, waxing is not recommended. Instead, make use of special protective sealers that marble companies make to protect the furniture and preserve its beauty and luster. Clean it regularly by washing with clean cloths and lukewarm water. Use a mild detergent only twice a year to remove dirt build up.